Monday, February 22, 2010

One-on-One Time

Simon woke up yesterday from nap and again this morning with an eye crusted shut with gunk. So we stayed home today. I figured he'd just lay around, and had some work I could do from home, so I sent Ellie off to daycare for the day. Now we don't separate the twins regularly, but I think Simon thought it was one of the best days ever- he had SO much fun! I think he just really enjoyed reading the LeapPad books for as long as he wanted and using Ellie's favorite pens to color with and just having the run of the place! Plus, he had me all to himself and I think he really got a kick out of that. We went to the store to pick up some eyedrops for his pink eye, and he got to be the only one in the cart- we weren't even going to walk around, really, but he was just really digging it! Then we brought Wendy's home, sat at the table with his new booster seat, and just enjoyed eating- just the two of us. My favorite son and I had a great day and I was reminded that we need to do a better job of taking the twins out one on one. We always said we'd be sure to do that, but that was before they were actually out in the world- what did we know?!?! I was talking to another twin mom about it this evening, and she agreed. We're normally in a 2:2 ratio- which is not 1:1- it's kind of like a roaming zone defense, if you will... Is that even a real thing? Anyway- they are also manageable in a 2:1 them:us situation at this point, so we try to do that to give each other a break- although my friend is now in a 3:2 ratio, which I do not envy. This parenting thing really is an energy suck, I tell you! Of course, we go back and forth between 3:2 and 2:3- it just depends which side Ashlyn's playing on at the moment... So anyway- we rarely remember to take/make the time to just take one twin to the store. Or to breakfast. Or to the library. Or whatever! As they get older, this will be more and more important, I think. But even now, not only did Simon really appreciate the one on one time with me today, but he really enjoyed just doing his own thing at his own pace and not having to worry about sharing or taking turns or using something that is just not worth fighting Ellie over... Ellie was in a great mood when she got home too- and with a bit of a 'tude! I think she got to rule the roost at daycare today. Or at least she just got to act as herself instead of acting as part of the unit she has always been a part of...

Ashlyn got to go to a youth group retreat up in the mountains this past weekend. She had a GREAT time and even made a connection with someone she has a ton of stuff in common with and also goes to her school, which is nice. And... it's a boy. Deep breaths... Here we go again...

No more pictures again- SORRY!! I guess I'm going to be one of those bloggers that just really hopes they're interesting enough to keep people reading based mostly on what they have to say... Or maybe I just think my kids are THAT cute- that even though you don't get to see them all the time, you'll keep coming back just waiting to adore them once again... Oddly, I thought I'd be one of those bloggers that puts lots of pictures up (Why?!?! Why did I think that?!), but no such luck... Oh well... At least it hasn't been months since I posted last! You can't have it both ways, people! Goodnight!

Princess P

3 comments:

  1. Great post! Even with Berea and Dustin I keep saying we need to do more one-on-one things...Berea and the two older kids of Alicia's stayed the night with my SIL a few weeks ago and Michael and Dustin were loving being the only kids, the next day Dustin had us all to himself, he was so good and had so much to say! Gotta do that more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW you still have my old blog on your blog list...you can put my new one up...if you want...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! just had to comment! Love how you describe parneting as an "energy suck"! No truer words were ever said! Fab posts!

    ReplyDelete